Gustav a Dangerous Category 4 Hurricane
At 1:00pm CDT –
– Hurricane warnings continue for Cayman Island and parts of
– The eye of Category 4 Hurricane Gustav was located near the Isle of
Youth. Movement is towards the northwest at 14mph and this track is
expected to continue the next 24 hours. Maximum sustained winds are
near 145mph and additional strengthening is forecast with Gustav
possibly making Category 5 status. Minimum central pressure is
measured at 945mb.
– Hurricane force winds extend outward to 70 miles from the center and
tropical storm force winds to 175 miles.
– Gustav is a large cyclone, do not focus on the pinpoint location or
track of this system.
– All persons in eastern Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama are urged to
monitor the progress of Gustav and be prepared for hurricane watches
– Tropical Storm Hanna continues with 50mph winds north of Puerto
Rico. Interests near Florida and Cuba should closely monitor the
progress of Hanna.
No discussion, this is to update the current intensity of Gustav.
Forecast track and intensity philosophies remain the same.
A full update will be issued later today.
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.